Fox News and Mercury Radio Arts announced today that Glenn Beck will be transitioning off his daily Fox News program.
From an April 6, 2011 press release:
Fox News and Mercury Radio Arts, Glenn Beck’s production company, are proud to announce that they will work together to develop and produce a variety of television projects for air on the Fox News Channel as well as content for other platforms including Fox News’ digital properties. Glenn intends to transition off of his daily program, the third highest rated in all of cable news, later this year.
Roger Ailes, Chairman and CEO of Fox News More >
Recently, the NYT reported that Fox News officials are “contemplating life without” Glenn Beck. Meaning: They’re considering not renewing his contract, which is up in December. One of the factors is the fact that over 300 advertisers are boycotting Glenn Beck’s show. This speculation has been fueled by recent reports that Glenn Beck’s ratings are plummeting and discussions about his advertiser problem.
On yesterday’s Imus in the Morning, Imus asked Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly if Glenn Beck will remain at Fox. And, O’Reilly struggled to give a diplomatic answer… (more…)
Tim Cuprisin at OnWilwaukee.com reports that Milwaukee’s WISN-AM is dropping Glenn Beck’s radio show:
I’ve learned that WISN-AM (1130) is canceling Glenn Beck’s daily radio show as of April 18.
The controversial TV/radio talker had been airing in the 8 to 10 a.m. weekday slot, with the third hour of his syndicated show running from 9 to 10 p.m.
There’s no comment yet from WISN management, but the move is designed to accommodate Jay Weber’s local morning show, which will air from 6 to 10 a.m., starting April 18.
Beck’s radio show is syndicated by Premiere Radio Networks which, like WISN, is owned by Clear More >
Stephen Colbert discussed reports that Fox News is considering letting Glenn Beck go. Colbert also mentioned the 300+ advertisers that are boycotting Beck’s show. He just wants to make sure that all are ready for coming Glennpocalypse.
From the April 4 edition of The Colbert Report: (more…)
Forbes’ Rick Ungar explains (emphasis added):
Earlier this week, Buckley Radio yanked Beck from four of its stations after having already pulled him from their flagship station – WOR in New York City- back in January.
Beck’s numbers just aren’t cutting it any longer.
While the radio show can survive the loss of the smaller markets in the Buckley group, no radio program can long survive the loss of New York as being shut-out of the nation’s largest market makes selling national advertising exceptionally difficult if not completely impossible.
This is particularly true when you add in the loss of affiliates in major markets such More >
Beginning February 9, 2010, the UK broadcast of Glenn Beck’s Fox News Show began running without any advertisements. It remained sponsor-less for nearly a year.
On February 7, 2011, just before 1 year anniversary of Beck’s UK broadcast running sponsor-less, a small amount of ads returned. Consequently, along with the StopBeck UK effort, participants in the StopBeck effort sprang to action. We contacted advertisers and kindly requested that the follow the responsible action taken by hundreds of other companies and refrain from financially supporting Glenn Beck’s vitriol.
Media Matters’ Joe Strupp has an exclusive story that offers some insight into this action:
A radio chain that dropped Glenn Beck from five of its stations since January did so, in part, because the show’s content was hurting ratings, the company’s president said Monday.
“He bounces around pretty radically, I think he confuses people, they’re not sure where he is coming from,” said Rick Buckley, president of Buckley Radio of Greenwich, Conn., who spoke with Media Matters. “It can More >
Blinds.com started sponsoring Glenn Beck. Consistent with past actions, participants in the StopBeck effort reached out. We informed Blinds.com that nearly 400 advertisers currently refuse to sponsor Glenn Beck’s reckless vitriol. And, we kindly requested that Blinds.com follow the responsible action of hundreds of other advertisers.
Jay Steinfeld, Blinds.com’s CEO, ignored scores of requests from StopBeck participants. But, he did take the time to respond to a few of Beck’s defenders.
In one tweet, Blinds.com’s Steinfeld expressed gratitude for a tweet that characterized StopBeck effort participants as a “motley crew of homo activists:”
Connecticut’s WDRC Drops Glenn Beck’s Radio Show From Lineup; Updated: WWCO, WSNG and WMMW Drop Beck As Well
Connecticut’s WDRC is dropping Glenn Beck’s radio show from their lineup:
WDRC-AM’s Brad Davis isn’t going solo on radio anymore. Beginning April 4 he is sharing the mic with fellow WDRC AM personality Mary Jones.
Davis will still have his own show from 6 to 9 a.m. Jones, who aid off from the station a couple years ago and then brought back for a weekends-only show, will now be on daily from 10 to noon. Her show will replace conservative radio personality Glenn Beck’s syndicated program.
In addition to Hartford (WDRC), Glenn Beck’s radio show was dropped in 3 other cities – New York City, Philadelphia and Madison. New York’s WOR reportedly dropped More >
Deadline.com reports that Beck’s team once flirted with the idea of creating a cartoon based on the world of Glenn Beck:
Last year, we’d heard that an animated Family Guy-style primetime series about Beck tried to enlist Hollywood TV showrunners. It would revolve around the “world” of Glenn Beck and would have him doing his own voice, and maybe most of the voices in the sitcom. The idea was to establish him as a conservative answer to Seth MacFarlane. However, I heard that a problem was that showrunners who’d been approached about More >